Sensi Star is a legendary, award-winning indica cultivar. With chunky, high THC buds and a rich, funky gassy lemon and pepper aroma. Sensi Star has earned recognition as one of the world’s great cannabis cultivars.
We asked the top cannabis chefs in Canada to provide their best recommendations for infused recipes and meal pairings for each of our cultivars. For Sensi Star, they recommended delicious savoury recipes for Pasta Carbonara and Steak with infused Gorgonzola Cream Sauce.
Our first recipe is prepared by The Cannabis Cooking Company, an organization that helps consumers, enthusiasts and aspiring chefs cook with the cannabis plant. Cannabis Cooking Company offers classes that are informative, fun, and are a great way to get familiar with something that might seem intimidating. The company also offers the first culinary chef certification in Canada taught by certified chefs.
Tamara Lilien recommends infusing our Sensi Star cultivar with their Pasta Carbonara dish.
Coming from a 14-year background in Palliative Care, Tamara has a keen understanding of gaps that exist in the health care system. After experiencing the medical benefits of cannabis firsthand, she transitioned into a career in Cannabis Education and Consulting. Tamara believes strongly that all Canadians deserve easy access to cannabis and associated resources for both medical and recreational purposes.
“Sensi Star has strong notes of pepper that are a perfect match with all the black pepper used in a traditional carbonara. The beautiful earthiness and muskiness in this cultivar pairs well with the cheese in the dish. Since this is an active oil infusion, the flavours of the roasted cannabis will also enhance the Guanciale that is crisped up. Truly a match made in heaven!”
Recipe #1: Pasta Carbonora
Pasta Carbonara is essentially your classic bacon and egg pasta. Good almost any time of the day. Guiancle, which is cured pork jowl, is the traditional cut of pork we use here. We recommend making the pasta uninfused, and simply drizzling the desired dose of infused oil for each guest over the plate right before enjoying.
- 225g Spaghetti
- 15ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 40g Guanciale, cut as directed
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Garlic clove, sliced
- 20g Parmigiano reggiano
- 20g Pecorino romano
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Parsley, chopped
- Cannabis infused olive oil, to taste – see dosing info below
- Large pot for pasta
- Small fry pan
- Cutting board
- Medium size bowl
- Cheese Grater
- Cannabis Grinder
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Cheese Cloth
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt to taste. (Should taste of the sea: and remember- most of it will end up down the drain). Add pasta as directed.
- While the pasta cooks, in a fry pan over medium/high heat, add the olive oil, and the guanciale.
- Render the guanciale until brown and crispy. Remove from heat and add the garlic allowing it to cook from the residual heat.
- Crack three eggs into a medium-sized bowl, add in the grated parmigiano reggiano, a pinch of salt, and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Once pasta is cooked, remove from boiling water and place directly into the small pan with garlic and guanciale, being sure to allow a little pasta water to go in with it. Toss to coat. Immediately add in egg and cheese mixture. Toss with tongs to combine. With the pasta water, rendered guanciale fat, eggs, and cheese, you’ll create a nice creamy emulsion. Put back on heat very briefly if it looks a little wet, to help it set. Use caution here; you do not want to end up with scrambled eggs!
- Plate pasta, and top with Pecorino romano cheese, freshly chopped parsley (although not traditional), and desired amount of cannabis infused olive oil (also not traditional). Lastly, a good few grinds of black pepper. This is a major flavour component of the dish, so don’t be shy!
Bonus Recipe: Active Cannabis Infused Olive Oil
- 5g 7ACRES Sensi Star, finely ground
- 250ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil (‘First Cold Pressed’ is ideal)
- Grind cannabis and place onto a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Bake at 240F for 30 minutes to decarboxylate.
- Place decarboxylated cannabis and olive oil into a Magical Butter Machine and cook at 160F for 2 hours.
- Alternatively, use a double boiler and monitor the temperature to keep at 160F, stirring every 15 minutes. You may also cook in a mason jar, using the sous vide method, with the water bath set to 160F (71C), again, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Strain cannabis through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth. Press to get every last drop of goodness you can.
*Note: This active infusion method provides a slightly roasted flavour and higher potency.
- 2.5g @ 20% THC = 500mg potential THC
- 500mg THC into 250ml olive oil infusion = 2mg THC/1ml Oil (assuming 20%THC)
- 1tsp oil =5ml = 10mg THC & 1tbsp =15ml = 30mg THC
These calculations are based on the assumption of a 100% extraction rate. Using spectrometry (tCheck testing), Cannabis Cooking Company tests show extraction rates between 85% and 92%. We utilize a 100% extraction rate in all of our recipes to ensure that the maximum possible dosage is accounted for and to mitigate accidental overconsumption.
Our second Sensi Star-infused recipe was prepared by Cody Lindsay, also known as The Wellness Soldier, who is Canada’s leading cannabis cooking educator with a focus on helping veterans. He is a chef of 20 years that has been featured on Bong Appetit, Leafly, Lift&Co., CLN, CBC, CTV and more. Cody learned to be a cook while serving in the Canadian military.
The Wellness Soldier recommends pairing or infusing 7ACRES’ Sensi Star with his favourite Steak with infused Gorgonzola Cream Sauce recipe.
“The Fuel and Peppery notes pair well with a delicious savoury recipe such as our Steak with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce recipe.”
Recipe #2: Steak with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
MMMM, there is nothing better then a fat steak dipped in some cannabis infused gorgonzola cream sauce. Cody learned this recipe while working at STeaK Modern Steakhouse in Ottawa from Chef Matt Gregoire. You can use this recipe on everything from potatoes, to scallops, roasted veggies, pasta, seafood, chicken, and everything in between. It even pairs well with homemade french fries too.
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Onion, minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 2 Cups Cannabis Infused Cream (Heavy Cream 35%)
- 4-6 oz Gorgonzola Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Stove top and pot
- Cannabis grinder
For Infused Cream:
- 7 grams of ground or crushed Sensi Star dried flower
- 2 Cups 35% Cream
We are simply going to infuse our cream by adding the cannabis to the heavy cream and allowing it to double boil on a medium pot of water for 40+ minutes. Once it’s finished, we’ll strain and store it for use in this recipe.
For the cannabis infused heavy cream, use 7 grams of cannabis per 2 cups of 35% cream. You can scale up or down depending on how much you need.
We know that if our THC content is around 20%, which equates to 200mg THC-a per gram of cannabis. So, if we multiply 7 (grams) by 200 it equals 1400mg THC-a.
After decarboxylation, converting the THC-a to THC, (1400mg X .88) we are left with 1,232mg THC. After infusion, THC multiplied by 80%, gives us a grand total of….
Approximately 986mg THC infused into your 35% cream.
For Gorgonzola Sauce
- In a medium pot, heat up the olive oil and sautee the onions,
- Once onions are translucent add the garlic, cook for another 2-3 minutes,
- Deglaze the pot with white wine and reduce by at least half,
- Add your infused cream and bring up to temperature until a rolling simmer is reached,
- Once temperature is reached, add gorgonzola cheese
- Taste, season with salt and pepper
- Eat Well & Be Happy!
Thank you for cooking with us! We hope you enjoy. Share your 7ACRES Sensi Star-infused recipes with us by tagging @7ACRESmj on Instagram and Twitter for a chance to be featured on our page!
Need to re-up? You can find Sensi Star in your area here.